- 2014 Orientation Dates
- New Student Orientation (January)
- Transfer Orientation (May or June)
- Freshman Orientation (June)
- Online Orientation
- Directions to Orientation
- Orientation Program Expectations
- Orientation Program Fees
- Orientation Program Philosophy
- Parent & Family Orientation
New Student Orientation
We are excited to have you join our University community. Orientation provides you with the information you need to make the most of your Rowan experience.
Here's what you will experience at orientation:
- Academic Success workshop and a brief overview of General Education and other graduation requirements;
- academic advising;
- time to build you schedule and register for spring term classes;
- opportunities to connect with other students;
- an introduction to Rowan student services and involvement opportunities.
New Student Orientation for students beginning classes in the spring term will be held Saturday, December 7 or Monday, January 6. Specific date(s) for your academic major will be presented to you when you make orientation reservations online. An optional Parent & Family Orientation program is held concurrently with New Student Orientation, but students and their parents & adult family members will follow separate orientation schedules.
All new undergraduate students are required to attend orientation. If you are unable to attend one of the on-campus orientation sessions, please contact our office at 856-256-4041 ask about our online orientation program.
All freshman and transfer students are required to complete orientation. If you previously attended Rowan, you are not required to attend orientation, but are encouraged to do so to learn about any policies that may have changed or new resources available to you.
Students must reserve a spot to attend orientation in advance. We utilize an online reservation system that displays specific dates available according to major. Not every date may be offered for all majors, and sessions will close when maximum capacities are reached. Please use the orientation reservation system to view dates currently available for your major(s). Possible orientation dates include Saturday, December 7 or Monday, January 6.
Reserve your spot at orientation today:
Please confirm your attendance at New Student Orientation by January 1:
- Discuss with your parents or adult family members whether or not they would like to attend Parent & Family Orientation. You will be asked to enter information for each guest attending orientation with you in the online system.
- Activate your Rowan computing account at www.rowan.edu/password.
- Review the reservation information and frequently asked questions.
Parents - please stop here:
Click here for orientation instructions for parents & family members.
- You will need your Rowan Banner ID number (from your Admissions materials, the orientation invitation e-mail, or the mailing label from the orientation reminder) to reserve your spot. You are eligible for academic advising during orientation for the major listed in your invitation e-mail only. If you would like to change your major, please contact Admissions (877-RU-ROWAN, 856-256-4200, or email@example.com) prior to completing your orientation reservations.
- Click here to access our online reservation system. The first time you access the system you will need to provide your name and Rowan Banner ID number, then provide an e-mail address and password you would like to use to create your reservation.
- You will receive an e-mail confirmation after you have successfully registered.
- Check your Rowan e-mail regularly to stay up to date until orientation.
Don't forget to bring your credit evaluation and/or copies of your transcripts. You may view your transfer credits at the "Transcript" link found at http://sinfo.rowan.edu
New Jersey Institutions Course Equivalency
For transfer information and other resources go to http://www.rowan.edu/newtransfer
For a List of Links To Current Rowan Departments and Events Visit http://cp.rowan.edu/cp/
Academic Transition Programs: firstname.lastname@example.org transfer student assistance service & Welcome Wednesdays transition workshops
Students who have confirmed their orientation date online will receive the following information by e-mail:
Orientation begins at 8 a.m. at Pfleeger Concert Hall (located inside the Wilson Hall building) and will conclude after course registration (by 4:30 p.m.).
We are unable to provide housing for students during the orientation program. If you need overnight accommodations, visit http://www.rowan.edu/glassboro/hotels for information about local hotels.
Students with special needs:
If you have a condition that might affect your participation in orientation, OSLP will coordinate any arrangements you may need while you are on campus. If you did not indicate any necessary accommodations when you registered for orientation, please contact our office immediately; some arrangements take at least two weeks to arrange. You may also want to contact the Academic Success Center to discuss your needs for the upcoming academic year (856-256-4259).
Basic Skills/Placement Test Requirements:
Transfer students with fewer than 30 credits who are not transferring credits for college level math or reading are required to take Placement Exams regarding basic skills requirements. All students taking math courses at the level of Calculus or above will also need to take the College Level Math Placement test. As a new transfer student, you are not required to take the College Level Math exam if one of the following applies to you:
- You have completed Calculus I or an equivalent college calculus course AND earned a passing grade in the course.
- You have completed Precalculus or an equivalent college precalculus course AND earned a passing grade in the course.
- You successfully completed AP Calculus in high school.
- All other transfer students (particularly life and physical sciences, math, computer science and business students) must take the College Level Math exam prior to enrolling in a calculus-level math course.
Please call the Testing Center at 856-256-4263 to verify your exemption or arrange a testing date prior to attending orientation. You are unable to register for fall term courses until testing is complete.
Directions to Campus and Parking:
Please see http://www.rowan.edu/orientation/directions for directions to campus. For students who wish to drive to orientation, parking will be available in Lot A.
Incoming students should view the Banner Registration Tutorial prior to orientation online at http://www.rowan.edu/provost/registrar/Student_Self_Service/Student_Self_Service.swf. This tutorial will introduce you to the services available through Banner, including course registration. Your academic advisors will expect that you are comfortable using Banner to search for classes when you meet with them at orientation. Visit http://www.rowan.edu/provost/registrar/transfer.html for more registration information.
You are eligible for academic advising during orientation for the major listed on your Enrollment Confirmation form only. All students will be advised by a faculty or staff academic advisor, select courses, and register for your spring term classes during orientation. Some academic departments also offer advising in advance of orientation. See http://www.rowan.edu/orientation/transfer/advising.cfm to check availability for your specific major. Please bring a printed copy of your transfer credit evaluation with you to orientation. Your advisor will review this with you to help in selecting your spring term courses. You can access your credit evaluation by Accessing Banner Services at http://rowan.edu/selfservice.
What to bring to Orientation:
- Your Rowan Banner ID number, network username, and passwords
- A writing utensil
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Comfortable clothing, appropriate for the weather
- Your personalized orientation confirmation
- Photo ID
- Copy of any CB, CLEP, or AP exam results
- Your transfer credit evaluation (available from http://rowan.edu/selfservice) and/or most recent college transcript
If you have additional questions about New Student Orientation, please contact the Office of Orientation and Student Leadership Programs at 856-256-4041 or e-mail email@example.com. For other questions about your transfer credit evaluation or academic advising, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
An optional Parent & Family Orientation program is held concurrently with New Student Orientation, but students and their parents & adult family members will follow separate orientation schedules.
Parents & adult family members are encouraged to attend orientation to learn more about how you can support your Rowan student. We do not recommend that young children attend the program to ensure that it is as focused as possible. Also, no child care services are available. Parents who have attended orientation find it to be an informative and rewarding experience. Students and parents will follow different schedules during orientation sessions. It is our goal for students to build a relationship with their advisors as well as learn the necessary skills to register on their own in future terms. Therefore, we expect students to register for classes with the assistance of the professional academic advisors only, and not their parents or family members.
The Rowan student must make Parent & Family Orietnation reservations as part of their orientation reservation process. Please discuss with your student whether or not you would like to attend Parent & Family Orientation. The Rowan student will be asked to enter the number of guests attending orientation in the online system as well as a contact phone number and e-mail address for any parents or adult family members participating. We do not recommend that young children attend the program, as no child-care services are available.
If you are unable to attend the same orientation session as your student, you are welcome to attend another date. Please contact our office at 856-256-4041 to make arrangements to attend orientation during a different session than your student.
We are unable to provide housing for the orientation program. If you need overnight accommodations, visit http://www.rowan.edu/glassboro/hotels for information about local hotels.
If you or your student has a condition that might affect participation in orientation, OSLP will coordinate any arrangements needed during the programs. If no necessary accommodations were listed when your student made orientation reservations, please contact our office immediately; some arrangements take at least two weeks to arrange. You may also want to contact the Academic Success Center to discuss any needs for the upcoming academic year (856-256-4259).
Directions to Campus, Parking, and Orientation Program Check-In:
Please see http://www.rowan.edu/orientation/directions for directions to campus. Parking will be available in Lot A for all orientation participants.
Check-in will begin at 8 a.m. in the Wilson Hall lobby, and orientation programming will begin promptly at 8:45 a.m.
Meals & fees:
The $75 orientation fee covers the student orientation program and up to two parent & family members. Meals for additional family members can be added for $25 per person by calling our office at 856-256-4041 in advance. Students and parents & family members will receive breakfast and lunch.
Orientation begins at 8:45 a.m. and ends by 5 p.m., depending on the student's major and advising availability.
If you have additional questions about Parent & Family Orientation, please contact Parent & Family Connections at 856-256-4596.
If you have additional questions about orientation, please contact the Office of Orientation and Student Leadership Programs at 856-256-4041, @RowanOSLP, or