- 2013 Orientation Dates
- New Student Orientation (January)
- Transfer Orientation (May or June)
- Freshman Orientation (June)
- Online Orientation
- Directions to Orientation
- Orientation Program Expectations
- Orientation Program Fees
- Orientation Program Philosophy
- Parent & Family Orientation
We are excited to have you join our University community. Orientation provides you with the information you need to make the most of your Rowan experience.
Here's what you will experience at orientation:
- meeting with orientation leaders (PROS)
- Academic Success workshop and a brief overview of General Education and other graduation requirements;
- academic advising;
- time to review and adjust your fall term class schedule;
- opportunities to connect with other students;
- an introduction to Rowan student services and involvement opportunities;
- and a official induction into the University.
All new students are required to attend orientation. Please use the orientation reservation system to select an orientation program. Once you complete your orientation reservation, you will receive an e-mail with a link to schedule an appointment with your academic advisor to complete course registration for the fall term.
Reserve your spot at orientation today:
- Discuss with your parents or adult family members whether or not they would like to attend Parent & Family Orientation. You will be asked to enter information for each guest attending orientation with you in the online system.
- Activate your Rowan computing account at www.rowan.edu/password.
- Review the reservation information and frequently asked questions.
Parents - please stop here:
Click here for orientation instructions for parents & family members.
- You will need your Rowan Banner ID number (from your Admissions materials, the orientation invitation e-mail, or the mailing label from the orientation reminder) to reserve your spot. You are eligible for academic advising during orientation for the major listed in your invitation e-mail only. If you would like to change your major, please contact Admissions (877-RU-ROWAN, 856-256-4200, or firstname.lastname@example.org) prior to completing your orientation reservations.
- Click here to access our online reservation system. The first time you access the system you will need to provide your name and Rowan Banner ID number, then provide an e-mail address and password you would like to use to create your reservation.
- You will receive an e-mail confirmation after you have successfully registered.
- Check your Rowan e-mail regularly to stay up to date until orientation.
Students with special needs:
If you have a condition that might affect your participation in orientation, OSLP will coordinate any arrangements you may need while you are on campus. If you did not indicate any necessary accommodations when you registered for orientation, please contact our office immediately; some arrangements take at least two weeks to arrange. You may also want to contact the Academic Success Center to discuss your needs for the upcoming academic year (856-256-4259).
Basic Skills/Placement Test Requirements:
The following Basic Skills Tests/Placement Exams are required of all freshmen:
- Reading Comprehension: exempt if SAT critical reading score is 550 or above.
- Elementary Algebra: exempt if SAT math score is 550 or above.
- College-Level Mathematics: required for Biological Science, Business, Chemistry, Computer Science, Mathematics, and Physical Science majors, or for any student who wishes to take a math course at the level of Calculus or above.
- Performance and score on the SAT Reasoning Essay (writing portion) will be evaluated for placement. Students will be placed in the appropriate writing courses to address their needs.
These tests should be completed prior to attending orientation. Questions about basic skills testing should be directed to the Testing Center at 856-256-4263. You are unable to register for fall term courses until testing is complete.
Directions to Campus and Parking
Please see http://www.rowan.edu/orientation/directions for directions to campus. For students who wish to drive to orientation, parking will be available in Lot B.
Incoming students should view the Banner Registration Tutorial prior to orientation online. This tutorial will introduce you to the services available through Banner, including course registration. Your academic advisors will expect that you are comfortable using Banner to search for classes when you meet with them at orientation. Visit http://www.rowan.edu/provost/registrar/newfreshman.html for more registration information.
For each orientation session we offer a concurrent Parent & Family Orientation program. Students and their parents & adult family members follow separate orientation schedules.
Here's what you will experience at Parent & Family Orientation:
- an overview of the University;
- presentations about your student's adjustment to college life at Rowan;
- meet your student's College Dean and other academic administrators;
- a reception with other parents and University staff;
- information about financing college, safety, and STEP UP to healthy choices;
- meeting with current students & orientation leaders (PROS);
- and information about commuting or living on campus.
The Rowan student must make Parent & Family Orietnation reservations as part of their orientation reservation process. Please discuss with your student whether or not you would like to attend Parent & Family Orientation. The Rowan student will be asked to enter the number of guests attending orientation in the online system as well as a contact phone number and e-mail address for any parents or adult family members participating. We do not recommend that young children attend the program, as no child-care services are available.
If you are unable to attend the same orientation session as your student, you are welcome to attend another date. Please contact our office at 856-256-4041 to make arrangements to attend orientation during a different session than your student.
We are unable to provide housing for parents and family members during the orientation program. If you need overnight accommodations, visit http://www.rowan.edu/glassboro/hotels for information about local hotels.
Students will spend the night in Chestnut, Magnolia, Mimosa, or Willow Hall. Students are asked to bring a pillow, bed linens, a towel, blanket, walking shoes, athletic apparel, alarm clock, fan, umbrella, and a swim suit with them to orientation.
If you or your student has a condition that might affect participation in orientation, OSLP will coordinate any arrangements needed during the programs. If no necessary accommodations were listed when your student made orientation reservations, please contact our office immediately; some arrangements take at least two weeks to arrange. You may also want to contact the Academic Success Center to discuss any needs for the upcoming academic year (856-256-4259).
Directions to Campus, Parking, and Orientation Program Check-In:
Please see http://www.rowan.edu/orientation/directions for directions to campus. Parking will be available in Lot B for all orientation participants.
Check-in will begin at 8 a.m. in the Wilson Hall lobby, and orientation programming will begin promptly at 8:45 a.m.
Meals & fees:
The $175 orientation fee covers the student orientation program and up to two parent & family members. Meals for additional family members can be added for $25 per person by calling our office at 856-256-4041 in advance. Students will receive two breakfasts, two lunches, and an afternoon snack and dinner on day 1. Parents will receive breakfast, lunch, and an afternoon reception on day 1 and lunch on day 2.
Parent orientation begins at 8:45 a.m. on the first day and ends at 6:30 p.m. Parent orientation begins at 9 a.m. on the second day of orientation and ends by 3 p.m.
Student orientation begins at 8:45 a.m. on the first day and ends at 1 a.m. Student orientation begins at 7:30 a.m. on the second day of orientation and ends after class schedules are finalized, ranging from 1:15-4 p.m. depending on the student's major and advising availability. It is highly recommended that students spend the night on campus during their orientation program.
If you have additional questions about Parent & Family Orientation, please contact Parent & Family Connections at 856-256-4596 or the Office of Orientation and Student Leadership Programs at 856-256-4041.
If you have additional questions about orientation, please contact the Office of Orientation and Student Leadership Programs at 856-256-4041, @RowanOSLP, or