3 on 3 Basketball Rules
Each player must present a Rowan ID card before each contest to be eligible to participate. No other forms of identification will be accepted.
All intramural participants are responsible for their own medical expenses. Any student unsure of their physical condition should check with their family physician or the Student Infirmary before participating in intramural sports.
Game time is forfeit time. If necessary, each team has until 5 minutes after game time until the game will be called a forfeit. For each minute after game time that the game must be delayed, the team in which everyone is waiting will be penalized by spotting the opposing team 3 points per minute.
The games will be self-officiated. Calls may be over-ruled by Intramural Staff. Teams are responsible for keeping their spectators under control. Misconduct of spectators, players or coaches can result in assessment of a penalty, ejection or forfeiture of the game. Spectators must also remain in the area designated by the officials. The officials shall have the power to make decisions on any matters or questions not specifically covered in the rules.
Any rule not covered in the 3 on 3 rules, intramural basketball rules will apply
Length of Game
- The game will consist of two 10- minute periods. Clock stops the last minute of each half for any dead ball situations.
- Halftime is 3 minutes.
- Teams are permitted 1 time-out per game.
- The game starts with the teams shooting 3 pointers to determine who gets possession first. Each player must shoot, unless the result has been determined prior to all players available.
- If the game is tied at the end of regulation, a two-minute overtime will occur. No time-outs allowed in overtime, unless team did not use theirs in regulation.
- Deliberate stalling or attempts to freeze the ball shall result in a loss of possession. If a team is warned for stalling, the IM staff will administer a 10-second count during which a shot must be attempted. If a shot is not attempted, ball possession is lost. This will occur at the discretion of the IM Staff member.
- Game time is start time. A team who is late will lose two points for every minute late, at five minutes it will become a forfeit.
- If a team forfeits once, they must pay the reinstatement fee, two forfeits and they will be dropped from the league.
- All other 5 on 5 Intramural Rules and NFHS rules apply.
- Teams that are not signed in will be penalized 2 points per minute until the 5 minute grace period has ended. Team signed in can have a maximum of 8-0 lead.
- All shots made inside the 3-point arc will count as two points.
- All shots made beyond the 3-point arc will count as three points.
- Foul shots will count as one point.
- There is no make it take it, games will be losers out.
Fouls and Violations
- Games will be self-officiated. Players will call shooting or non-shooting fouls, but may be over-ruled by the IM Staff member.
- Jump balls go to the possession arrow.
- Any player with 4 fouls will be fouled-out and must either be replaced or the team must play shorthanded.
- The scorekeeper will count and record all team fouls on the score sheet.
A. Prior to the fifth team foul:
- Any foul shall result in the loss of possession for the offending team.
- Any offensive foul shall result in disallowing a made basket and loss of possession.
- Any shooting foul with a missed basket shall result in retained possession.
- Any shooting foul with a converted basket shall result in the basket being awarded and a change of possession.
B. On and after the fifth team foul:
- Any foul shall result in a 1 on 1 situation free throw.
- Any offensive foul shall result in disallowing a made basket and change of possession.
- Any shooting foul with a missed basket shall result in two foul shots and retained possession.
- Any shooting foul with a made basket shall result in the basket and 1 free throw. After the free throw, the opposing team that fouled will automatically get possession.
5. Due to teams retaining possession after each free throw, no participants need to line up for free throws.
Taking the Ball Back
- After all scores you must check the ball with the other team.
- During live ball play, the ball must be taken back beyond the 3-point arc.
- If the ball is stolen or an air ball occurs, the defensive team must take the ball back beyond the 3-point arc.
- Teams shall consist of 3 players, but you may begin with 2 players
- All players must show their ID to the supervisor