Residential Learning & University Housing
Join in "A Conversation with Ken Burns" Feb. 29 | More
Students, professional performers to present Shange’s production at Rowan | More
Quest of a lifetime: Film prof nets $100K MacArthur grant | More
Rowan students will cha-cha For CHOP | More
Music alumni spotlighted at Rowan Jazz Festival | More
Requesting To Cancel Your Housing Assignment
Submitting Cancellation Requests for FALL 2015-SPRING 2016 academic year
Since the Fall 2015 Semester has begun and the August 29, 2015 deadline has passed, online submission of cancellation requests can no longer be submitted. According to the cancellation policy, cancellations after this date (outside of the 5 day cancel with no penalty period) will only be approved due to withdrawal, graduation or leave of absence, participation in an approved academic program, marriage or domestic partnership, or medical, financial or other hardship. Requests after this date are subject to the fees and pro-rated refund schedule detailed in the contract. The first $500 of fees paid for the term are not refundable. Please complete the Housing Contract Cancellation form found here. Refer to the below instructions depending on your specific cancellation reason for additional documentation that you may need to submit along with this form.
Please submit this form and all appropriate documents to Lindsey James, Housing Assignments Coordinator, either via email at email@example.com, hand deliver the documents to the Office of Residential Learning & University Housing in Savitz Hall 1st floor, fax them to (856) 256-4475, or mail them into our office at:
Office of Residential Learning & University Housing
Attn: Lindsey James
Savitz Hall, 201 Mullica Hill Road
Glassboro, NJ 08028
Cancellation Reasons and Additional Documentation Requirements:
- Withdrawing, transferring or taking a leave of absence: Please contact the Dean of Student’s Office at (856) 256-4040 to submit appropriate paperwork. More information on leaving Rowan University can be found here.
- Graduation: Your petition for graduation must be on file with the Registrar. Once verified, your contract cancellation request will be approved, effective end of semester.
- For all other cancellation requests submit the following documents:
- A completed cancellation form that can be found here.
- An email or letter that outlines your reason(s) for cancellation.
- Attach any necessary documentation that supports your request, as outlined in the reason you are claiming below:
- You fall under our Mandatory Housing Requirement but plan to commute from the residence of your parent or legal guardian that is within 40 miles of campus: You must submit the “Statement of Student Residence Form” for review to be considered for exemption of the Mandatory Housing Requirement.
(You must complete this form, have it notarized, then submit the hard copy to the Office of Residential Learning and University Housing during normal business hours.
- It is the policy of this institution that all unmarried, undergraduate, full-time students, under the age of 21, who will not be living in the residence of their legal guardian, will be required to reside in University resident facilities until the completion of their second academic year (58 credits). This policy also includes transfer students who have less than 58 credits.
- Academic Program: Documentation of participation in a Rowan University affiliated academic program showing that the location is not near the Glassboro campus. If applicable, please submit your current and future class schedule.
- Drop to Part-Time Student Status: Submit a copy of your current and future class schedule to show that you were previously a full-time student and you will be dropping to part-time student status. If you obtain full-time student status in the future, and fall under the Mandatory Housing Policy, you will be required to live in on-campus housing.
- Marriage or Civil Union: Submit a copy of your marriage license, certificate or other legal documentation. This documentation must post-date the start date of your housing contract.
- Financial: Submit a typed letter/email explaining your financial circumstances, along with supporting documentation that shows how your financial circumstances and ability to pay your fees have changed since you agreed to accept University Housing. Some examples include but are not limited to: Bursar Bill (current/future semesters), Financial Aid loan documents (denial/approval of loans), any loss of employment documentations, financial or bank related documentation, etc. Documentation must post-date the start date of your housing contract.
- Medical/Health Condition: Submit a typed letter/email explaining your medical/health condition and how it impacts your ability to continue living in University Housing, along with documentation of the condition from a qualified health care provider on the required Health Care Provider Form. Documentation must post-date the start date of your housing contract.
- Personal/Other Hardship: Submit a typed letter/email explaining the extraordinary circumstances of your hardship, along with any documentation that will support your request. Documentation must post-date the start date of your housing contract.
When you have submitted all of the required documentation, it will be reviewed by the Director of Housing Assignments & Administrative Services in conjunction with appropriate personnel staff in the Student Health Center, Counseling and Psychological Services Center, Financial Aid Office or any other appropriate office(s) based on the circumstances presented in your cancellation request. You will be contacted via your Rowan email address once a determination has been reached on your request or with details regarding additional documentation you must submit.
The Terms and Conditions of the university housing contract stipulate that the contract is for the entire academic year. Under this contract, students are financially obligated to the contract until a request to cancel is approved by the University.
deadline to request to cancel with no penalty is five (5)
business days after the student selects a space during room
selection, or the University notifies the student of a confirmed
housing assignment. Freshmen and Sophomores who are
subject to the mandatory housing policy are not eligible to
cancel unless they will be commuting from the home of their
parent or legal guardian and submit the required “Statement of
Student Residence” form.
After the deadline, cancellations are subject to the following
For Fall Semester:
|Request Submitted by
May 3, 2015
June 26, 2015
August 29, 2015
For Spring Semester:
|Request Submitted by
November 21, 2015
December 18, 2015
January 15, 2016
Requests submitted after August 29, 2015 (for fall semester) or January 15, 2016 (for spring semester) will only be approved due to withdrawal, graduation or leave of absence, participation in an approved academic program, marriage or domestic partnership, or medical, financial or other hardship. Requests after this date are subject to the fees and pro-rated refund schedule detailed in the contract. The first $500 of fees paid for the term are not refundable.
Any requests submitted after August 29, 2015 (for fall semester) or January 15, 2016 (for spring semester) should be via written letter/email to the Director for Housing Administrative Services and Assignments.
REMINDER: The Terms and Conditions of the university housing contract stipulate that the contract is for the entire academic year (Fall 2015 and Spring 2016). Under this contract, students are financially obligated to the contract until a request to cancel is approved by the University.
Refund of Housing Fees Paid
If a cancellation is completed after the period of residency begins, the student will be entitled to a weekly prorated refund of room fees as indicated below. Cancellation fees and housing deposits are not refundable and will be deducted from any refund amount.
- Week 1 = 94%
- Week 2 = 88%
- Week 3 = 60%
- Week 4 = 50%
- Week 5 = 40%
- After week 5 no refund is given
Payment and Refunds
- At the time of the first application for University housing, students must pay a $200 non-refundable housing deposit, to be credited to the student's account during the semester for which the application is made.