Lab Use Policy
refer to the Computer Lab Use Policy below
when making use of any of Rowan University's computer labs.
As with all policies, this policy is subject to change at any
time. So please bookmark this page and re-visit often for any
updates to the policy.
Any questions regarding the computer labs on-campus and/or the
Computer Lab Use Policy can be forwarded to Academic Technology
at email@example.com or 856.256.5552.
For more information about locations & hours
of computer labs, please visit the Computer
Lab Use Policy
account is for your use only. You are responsible for
all actions associated with this account. You must take
care to keep your password from others.
to violate the security of the system, e.g. guessing passwords,
attempting to defeat file protections, or accessing the
system in a way that is obviously not intended, will result
in appropriate disciplinary action.
student copying another student's work into his or her
directory without permission will be considered evidence
we respect the privacy of individual user files. However,
in the event of an investigation into a security problem
the systems staff may look at your files.
appropriate etiquette and consideration with electronic
mail and Usenet News. Illegal or any other irresponsible
activity such as hate mail or terroristic threats will
result in loss of account privileges.
you post messages to Usenet News, you must be familiar
with the document "Rules for Usenet News", which
is posted periodically to news.announce.newusers.
attempt to use campus networks or the Internet in an unauthorized
manner, for example, to attempt to connect to a computer
you are not authorized to access or to listen to network
traffic, will result in loss of privileges and/or disciplinary
in the sending of chain letters via e-mail will result
in loss of account privileges.
use of campus laser printers is restricted to no more
than 10 pages unless approved by a lab monitor (academic
work only). There is a 2 copy maximum for any document
- No food or beverages are permitted.
- Cell phones are to be turned off or set to “vibrate” mode. Cell phones should be used outside the open lab area.
- Open labs are reserved for academic use only. Use of lab computers for personal email, non-academic printing, instant messaging, playing games, listening to music, etc. is not permitted. Students are to use the Internet in accordance with (to be determined-tm).
- Printing is limited to academic use only. Students abusing printing privileges will be notified. Persistent violations will result in enforced printing limits.
- Technical support requests are to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Requests will be reviewed and addressed by Academic Technology according to priority.
- Students are prohibited from moving, modifying, or tampering with lab hardware. Students are not permitted to install or remove peripherals (power cords, monitors, mice, keyboards, hardware devices) without expressed written consent from Academic Technology.
- Students are not permitted to install or remove software without expressed written consent from Academic Technology.
- Personal headphones and flash media drives are permitted. Rowan University open computer labs do not support floppy or Zip disks.
- Moving or tampering with any cameras or security devices in computer labs will lead to immediate disciplinary action.
- Computers in open labs are not to be left “locked” or unattended for more than 10 minutes. Students waiting to use a computer in an open lab have the right to reboot a computer that has been left locked or unattended for more than 10 minutes.
- Academic Technology reserves the right to remove or delete any unapproved software or hardware from open lab computers. Students requiring special software should contact Academic Technology before installation
Academic Technology reserves the right to remove or delete any unapproved software or hardware from open lab computers. Students requiring special software should contact Academic Technology before installation.
- Academic Technology reserves the right to remove or delete any data stored locally on any computer in open labs. Computers may be reformatted or reimaged without prior notice.
- It is recommended that students use networking storage or cdrw media or flash drive to store and transport files and data.
Academic Technology facilities are for the use of Rowan
students, faculty, and staff. Consequently, others are not
permitted to use the computers, modems, or other equipment,
with the following exceptions:
Individuals enrolled in Rowan sponsored workshops or courses,
such as those offered by an on-campus institute, may be
offered temporary accounts for the duration of the course.
Such accounts will be closed when the course ends.
Grant-funded projects that include a computer or network
related component may arrange accounts for individuals directly
involved in the project, subject to the availability of
appropriate equipment. The Principal Investigator must coordinate
the terms of the arrangement for the accounts, preferably
before writing the grant; an appropriate transfer of funds
from the grant to Academic Technology, to support the
costs of the access, will be negotiated with the Director
of Academic Technology. Any access arranged in this
way will terminate when the funded project terminates.
Other types of access or "guest" accounts will
normally not be possible. In certain exceptional circumstances,
the Director of Academic Technology may choose to grant
guest access. Guest access will be granted only when a clear
case can be made that no reasonable alternatives exist.
The terms of access must be stated in a written agreement
that will be kept in the Office of Academic Technology.