In 2015, RowanGSBS partnered with the College of Science and Mathematics of Rowan University to offer new accelerated program options in the sciences. Within five years, students can complete one of six undergraduate majors to fulfill the baccalaureate degree requirements and earn a Master of Science in Cell and Molecular Biology with RowanGSBS. This 5-year dual degree designed to link undergraduate and graduate research programs and prepare students for PhD programs, professional schools or careers in biomedical research.
Undergraduate Degree Options at Rowan University
- Biology is the essential grounding in the role of evolution and genetics in the complex systems that sustain life.
- Biochemistry is a diverse field, spanning from fundamental studies relating to genetics and catalysis in model organisms to using the presence of biological signaling molecules as diagnostic markers for disease states in clinical settings.
- Bioinformatics focuses on the computational and statistical analysis of very large data sets generated from living systems which can be examined at the molecular, the population, and the evolutionary levels of inquiry.
- Biophysics is an inherently multidisciplinary program that applies the fundamental fields of biology, chemistry, and physics to understanding the biomedical sciences.
- Molecular and Cellular Biology integrates diverse training in mathematics, statistics, and both the life and physical sciences and provides excellent preparation for employment in the biotechnology workforce, graduate study in the biomedical field (MS, PhD) or entry into medical programs (MD, DO).
- Translational Biomedical Sciences is a multidisciplinary program that provides a diverse training in mathematics, statistics, the life sciences and the physical sciences.
Graduate Degree at RowanGSBS
Cell and Molecular Biology encompasses a broad range of disciplines that build upon the foundation of biochemistry and cell and molecular biology to explain biomedical processes that occur at the level of cell, tissue and whole organism. It employs diverse experimental approaches to investigate gene expression, cell growth and signaling, tissue and organ development, inheritance, reproduction, disease pathology, stress and aging. The Master of Science degree includes a wide range of coursework but our emphasis is on intensive research, original experimentation and high-quality publications. It prepares students for careers that require skills in experimental design, data analysis, scientific writing, technical communication, and oral presentation, culminating in a Master of Science thesis.
Dual Degree Timeline
Steps towards Admission
All students interested in pursuing the dual degree must be a matriculated undergraduate student at Rowan University in one of the above listed undergraduate programs.
- Meet with undergraduate Rowan University advisor
- Participate in undergraduate research freshman and/or sophomore year (optional but highly recommended)
- Take General GRE in fall semester of junior year
- Apply to the Master of Science in Cell and Molecular Biology Program at RowanGSBS during winter break of junior year