DO/PhD Dual Degree with RowanSOM
This combined degree option is designed to allow highly-qualified RowanSOM students the opportunity to gain research experience while dually-pursing the DO credential. Graduates of this dual program will become physician scientists with unique experience to not only practice medicine, but to contribute to the study of diseases, new medical treatments, clinical trials and become educators to the next generation of physicians.
Who Should Apply?
Current RowanSOM students in their 1st or 2nd year of medical school interested in gaining dual experience in conducting translational research in addition to medical school training.
DO/PhD scholarships are available to all accepted applicants to the program.
Years 1-2: DO program at RowanSOM and pass COMLEX part I
Years 3-5: PhD program at RowanGSBS-Thesis research and additional courses
Years 6-7: DO program at RowanSOM
Note: PhD program may take longer than three years and the student will NOT be allowed to return to the DO program until he/she has publicly defended their doctoral thesis.
Same admissions requirements as PhD in Cell and Molecular Biology program plus:
- Students must be enrolled in the DO program at the School of Osteopathic Medicine at the time of application
- Obtained an average of High Pass or better in medical school courses
- Must have participated in the SOM Summer Medical Research Fellowship program with a GSBS faculty member/mentor during the Summer of the 1st year of the DO program
- One letter of recommendation must be from the SOM Summer Medical Research Fellowship program mentor
- Pass first part of the COMLEX exam
For further information, please contact the SOM-Admissions Office at (856) 566-7050. Don't forget to review our Admissions Requirements. You can browse this section for curriculum charts, course catalog and schedules.