Tenure and Recontracting
The Tenure and Recontracting committee develops procedures ensuring equitable treatment for all faculty/professional staff, screens candidates not under tenure or multi-year contracts, and recommends to the University President those qualified for retention. Members cannot serve concurrently on Departmental Tenure & Recontracting Committee.
**Submission of Materials: SEE IMPORTANT FORMS AT BOTTOM OF PAGE**
For the spring cycle, materials are due by 12pm Noon on Friday, April 1.
Candidates must submit one paper copy and one PDF copy of the folder (and one copy of the supplemental folder). PDF copies may be submitted either on a jump drive or emailed to email@example.com.
Department committees should establish their own deadlines in advance of this deadline, ensuring that candidates have at least 24 hours to read and respond to the department committee's recommendation and letter.
BE SURE TO READ THE 2015-16 T&R MEMORANDUM OF AGREEMENT.
(Click the links below)
Significant Changes for 2015-16: As of 2015, significant changes are as follows:
1) Deleted the self-assessment form. This was redundant to the Checklist
2) Updated the Application Checklist and simplified the order of items so that each section contains a self-assessment as well as plans for future growth. This negates the need for a separate section for future growth, and integrates it into each appropriate narrative.
3) The inclusion of peer observations and students evaluation in semester 3 and 7 for candidates hired after July 14, 2014.
4) Inclusion of all prior student, peer, and prior packet evaluation summaries in the teaching/ professional performance section, rather at the end of the document or in the supplemental folder. By placing all prior evaluations in the document, the supplemental folder is optional.
5) Define role of Department Head in process
6) External evaluation of scholarly/creative activity for tenure review (Assistant Professor and higher only) timelile established and starts in the spring preceding the tenure packet due date to the Department Committee.
Extension of the pre-tenure period to 6 years as per the changes in the New Jersey Tenure Law. Individuals hired before July 16, 2014 will be granted tenure after 5 consecutive years of service as per N.J.S.A. §18A: 60-8, and individuals hired on or after July 16, 2014 will be granted tenure after 6 consecutive years of service as per N.J.S.A. §18A: 60-16. Therefore, candidates should consult the review cycle and appropriate documentation changes (2.6422, 2.65) appropriate for his/her tenure period. Professional Staff are unaffected by the change in statute.
7) Addition of an external reviewer to the tenure-recontracting portfolio (2.1114, 2.515). Candidates will provide the Chair of the Departmental T&R Committee with 3 names of external reviewers, which will be vetted by the Chair and approved by the Dean or similar designee. These external reviewers should not have conflicts of interest with the candidate.
8) Librarians will now submit their recontracting packets to the Senate Tenure and Recontracting Committee, then to the Associate Provost of Library Information Services, making them in line with other positions
PDFs (Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader)