Faculty and Research Interests
Kingsley Yin, PhD
Science Center 210
University of Western Australia, 1991
Sepsis is a major medical problem in the United States, where there are more than 500,000 cases each year with mortality which approaches 30%. The disease is characterized by an overwhelming bacterial infection. This leads to an early pro-inflammatory response to clear bacterial load but if this inflammation is sustained, there is dysregulation of the immune system. The latter results in immune paralysis where the host is unable to clear existing infection or is susceptible to opportunistic infection. Therefore the best therapeutic intervention for sepsis would be to reduce inflammation but promote bacterial clearance. This mechanism is termed inflammation resolution. My lab is focused on determining the beneficial inflammation resolution effects of Lipoxin A4 on sepsis. In this regard we are examining the action and mechanism of action of Lipoxin in reducing the inflammatory response without affecting the host's ability to clear bacterial infection in sepsis.
- Wu B, Capilato J, Pham MP, Walker J, Spur B, Rodriguez A, Perez LJ, Yin K. Lipoxin A4 augments host defense in sepsis and reduces Pseudomonas aeruginosa virulence through quorum sensing inhibition. FASEB J, 30(6): 2400-10, June 2016.
- Wu B, Walker J, Spur B, Rodriguez A, Yin K. Effects of Lipoxin A4 on antimicrobial actions of neutrophils in sepsis. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids, 94: 55-64, March 2015.
- Wu B, Walker JA, Temmermand D, Mian K, Spur B, Rodriguez, Stein TP, Banerjee P, Yin K. Lipoxin A(4) promotes more complete inflammation resolution in sepsis compared to stable lipoxin A(4) analog. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids, 89(1): 47-53, July 2013.
- Walker J, Dichter E, Lacorte G, Kerner D, Spur B, Rodriguez A, Yin K. Lipoxin a4 increases survival by decreasing systemic inflammation and bacterial load in sepsis. Shock, 36(4): 410-6, Oct 2011.
- Yue G, Shi G, Azaro MA, Yang Q, Hu G, Luo M, Yin K, Nagele RG, Fine DH, Yang J-M, Li H. Lipopolysaccharide (LPS) potentiates hydrogen peroxide toxicity in T98G astrocytoma cells by suppression of anti-oxidative and growth factor gene expression. BMC Genomics, 9: 608-21, Dec 2008.
- Pahuja M, Tran C, Wang H, Yin K. Alveolar macrophage suppression in sepsis is associated with high mobility group box 1 migration. Shock, 29(6): 754-60, Jun 2008.
- Yin K, Gribbin E, Emanuel S, Orndorff R, Walker J, Weese J, Fallahnejad M. Histochemical alterations in one lung ventilation. J Surg Res, 137(1): 16-20, Jan 2007.
- Yin K, Gribbin E, Wang H. Interferon-gamma attenuates lethality after cecal ligation and puncture in rats: Implications of High Mobility Group Box-1. Shock, 24(4): 396-401, Oct 2005.
- Wang C, Kuzma M, Qiu G, Yin K. Heterogenous and compartment specific activation of non-lymphocytic mononuclear cells in intra-abdominal sepsis. Exp Lung Res, 29(7): 503-21, Oct 2003.
- Qiu G, Gribbin E, Harrison K, Sinha N, Yin, K. Inhibition of Gamma Interferon decreases bacterial load in peritonitis by accelerating peritoneal fibrin deposition and tissue repair. Infect Immun, 71(5): 2766-74, May 2003.
- Yue G, Lai P-S, Yin K, Sun FF, Nagele RG, Liu X, Linask KK, Wang C, Lin K-T, Wong P Y-K. Colon epithelial cell death in TNBS-induced colitis is associated with increased iNOS expression and peroxynitrite production. J Pharmacol Exp Ther, 297 (3): 915-25, Jun 2001.
- Qiu G, Wang C, Smith R, Harrison K, Yin K. Role of IFN-g in bacterial containment in a model of intra-abdominal sepsis. Shock, 16(6): 425-9, Dec 2001.
- Yin K, Wilmanski J, Wang C, Qiu G, Tahamont M. Lung compartmentalization of inflammatory cells in sepsis. Inflammation, 24(6): 547-57, Dec 2000.
- Yin K, Hock CE, Lai P-S, Ross J, Yue G. Role of interferon-g on lung inflammation following cecal ligation and puncture in rats. Shock, 12(3): 215-21, Sep 1999.
- Yin K, Hock CE, Tahamont M, Wong P Y-K. Time-dependent cardiovascular and inflammatory changes in acute endotoxemia. Shock, 9(6): 434-42, Jun 1998.
- Liu P, Yin K, Nagele R, Wong P Y-K. Inhibition of nitric oxide synthase attenuates peroxynitrite generation, but augments neutrophil accumulation in hepatic ischemia-reperfusion in rats. J Pharmacol Exp Ther, 284(3): 1139-46, Mar 1998.
- Hock CE, Yin K, Yue G, Wong P Y-K. Effects of inhibition of nitric oxide synthase (NOS) by aminoguanidine in acute endotoxemia. Am J Physiol, 272(2 PT 2): H843-50, Feb 1997
- Yue G, Sun FF, Dunn CL, Yin K,Wong P Y-K. The 21-aminosteroid tirilazad mesylate can ameliorate inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) in rats. J Pharmacol Exp Ther, 276(1): 265-70, Jan 1996.
- Liu P, Yin K, Yue G, Wong P Y-K. Role of nitric oxide in hepatic ischemia-reperfusion with endotoxemia. J Inflammation, 46(3): 144-54, 1995.
- Wong P Y-K, Yue G, Yin K, Miyasaka M, Lane CL, Manning AM, Anderson DC, Sun FF. Antibodies to ICAM-1 ameliorate the inflammatory response in acetic acid induced inflammatory bowel disease. J Pharmacol Exp Ther, 274(1): 475-80, Jul 1995.
- Yin K, McGiff JC, Bell-Quilley CP. Role of chloride in the variable response of the kidney to cyclooxygenase inhibition. Am J Physiol, 268(4 PT 2): F561-8, Apr 1995.
- Yin K, Lai PS, Rodriguez A, Spur BW, Wong P Y-K. Antithrombotic effects of peroxynitrite: inhibition and reversal of aggregation in human platelets. Prostaglandins, 50(3): 169-78, Sep 1995.
- Yin K, Halushka PV, Yan Y-T, Wong P Y-K. Antiaggregatory activity of 8-epi-prostaglandin F2a and other F-series prostanoids and their binding to thromboxane A2/prostaglandin H2 receptors in human platelets. J Pharmacol Exp Ther, 270(3): 1192-6, Sep 1994.
(Updated June 2016)